One year ago

purplefans
on 1/5/09 12:56 pm - MA

Not looking for sympathy, just want to tell you what made me decide on WLS.

One year ago tomorrow, I did something really really stupid.  I tried to clean my son's
bedroom.  i was standing on his bed, hanging the planet Neptune back into the ceiling, when I stepped off the bed wrong.  Completely wrong.   I ended up breaking my left foot, which is now fine, but I also broke my right leg, which is now as good as it's going to be - but the biggie - I broke/dislocated my BIG TOE.     This last item is what made me decide on WLS.  My toe had been damaged so badly, there's almost no up angle movement left without pain - even walking hurts.     Of course, the doctors didn't find out until all the bones had healed and i started trying to walk.  OWW.    .   So I got that news from the doctors, orthopedic, and podiatric, I made my decision.    And I don't regret it at all.

Now, don't feel sorry for me.  I'm fine.  And my familly met a local man who had fallen, just like me, but ended up being paralyzed from his shoulders down.      I am lucky.   

I had spoken with doctors 10 years ago about WLS, so it had always been on the back of my mind, but I tried and tried exercising, biking, dieting, etc., for those years.  If I hadn't been able to lose the weight with two good legs, how could I do it when I can't ever walk without pain?   I tell you, that BIG TOE made my decision super easy.       Never Look back.  Always go Forward.  Onward!  World Watch Out!

Sue M.
on 1/5/09 11:00 pm, edited 1/5/09 11:01 pm - Nantucket, MA
That's a great story.  If I may, I'll share another "fall" story.

When I was in the hospital after my RNY, i started talking to my roommate the next day.  She told me that she had just had a hysterectomy.  Apparently, her mother had died in October of 2008, and the day after the funeral she tripped and broke her foot.  She got treated for that and was put on blood thinner to avoid clotting.  A week into the blood thinner treatment, she started bleeding vaginally.  She called her OB/GYN and got checked out.  That's when they found Uterine cancer.  If she hadn't broken her foot, she might not have found out so early.  She swore to me that her mother pushed her off the step and made her break her foot.

I'm sorry about your toe, but it may have saved your life.  I certainly hope the weightloss has helped out your toe, too!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
purplefans
on 1/6/09 2:11 am - MA
OMG!  It's like that old story about the horse losing a shoe and the kingdom falling!      I wish the weightloss helped with the toe, but it hasn't.  Oh well.  What can you do.   

I'll tell you another anniversary story on January 9th!

And it's not that I'm a clutz, really!   

irenethebean
on 1/6/09 12:42 am - foxboro, MA
omg..both great stories..i'm glad you're both well now.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views